Monday, March 14, 2005

Teen Pens Zombie Story; Gets Thrown in the Pokey

This story out of Kentucky makes me feel really, really awful. I used to do a lot of fiction writing in high school, and I shudder to think what could have happened to me had my writings fell into the wrong hands. I don't think I wrote any zombie stories in particular, but some folks might not have liked some of the social satire type things or even just plain bizarre stuff I had in my notebooks. Hell, maybe I would have just gotten thrown in the looney bin instead of jail. Who knows. But I think we need to seriously consider the implications of this story for all teenagers out there...who will they arrest next? The SCA and D&D nerds for their faux, historicized violence? Pimply art students with paintings of demons? Burnouts listening to Slayer? People in the school play for acting out stabbings and shootings? Maybe we should concentrate on getting the real violent jerks out there...you know, the dudes who gave the zombie-story writing dude swirlies in the john. String them up by their testicles! (Boy, am I glad I'm not in high school, or I'd probably get arrested for saying that!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I heard someone getting arrested for a zombie story. I thought censorship and the investigator didnt ask him what the story was. I love zombie movies. The reason its the private person fighting to survive. A fear that of living dead. Its a great horror master piece.
The reason I mentioned this is people enjoy things that entreag them. The government should not try to censor someones writing. I know the point about terrorism. Truly think you look and ask question not jump to conclusions.
The author know why he wrote what he wrote. My personal opinion the judgement should have come from he said and the story not personal conclusions. I hope that Poole seeks a Lawsuit. He did not deserve to get a criminal rep.
I hope that the aclu take his case.
P.S.
Each case in the courtroom does effect our fredom of speech and freedom of the press ETC

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home |

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com